Institutions that host neither authors, readers nor publishers may still have an interest in supporting Open Access Journals in order to increase dissemination of results from a smaller or wider area of science.
- Research councils often host journal support programs
- Other research founders may host publishing support programs, or may grant support on an application basis
- Library support and research programs may support publishing
- Funds, private or public, could find it possible to support OA publishing.
National institutions naturally will fund only publications based in their own country.
- Norges forskningsråd has a program to support scientific journals