Free Web Counter
english  norwegian 


NORDLAND - TROMS - FINNMARK - SVALBARD

 Elverh°y kirke

 
Elverh°y kirke ( Elverh°y Church)
Address: Barduvegen 20, Troms°
[View map]
Construction System /
Materials:
Woodwork; timber; cogging joint method; half-timbered framework; panelling
Building Type: Church; communal hall
Keywords: church, woodwork, timber, cog joint construction, framework, vertical boarding, steeple, cruciform church
Year of Construction: Consecrated in 1803
The Elverh°y Church is situated at a high point on Troms° Island, approximately 2 kilometres from Troms°'s town centre. It is located in a spinney that is connected to Elverh°y's cemetery. The church has been moved on two separate occasions. It was originally erected in the beginning of the 19th century, in order to replace an early 18th century church. It was built where the Troms° Cathedral stands today. Once the Troms° Cathedral was built, the older church was dismantled and moved to a new location, slightly south of the town centre. It was then referred to as the Troms°sund Church ("The Country Church"). In 1974, it was moved to its current location. The church's appearance has changed somewhat, but it has retained many of its original characteristics from the beginning of the 19th century.

The church was constructed with cog jointed timber and then clad with vertical panelling. A robust steeple is incorporated with the structure's half-timbered framework. The saddle roof, located above the sanctuary room is roofed with clay tiles, while the steeple crown is covered with copper. It is a cross-plan church with the steeple facing towards the west and the choir facing towards the east. Entrance to the building is accessed via the porch, which lies at the foot of the steeple. The church is painted bright red with white accents. The windows have lancet arches that are also painted white.

The Elverh°y church has retained many of its original characteristics from the early 19th century. The church that was erected where the Troms° Cathedral stands today was also cross-plan in form and externally clad. It had a steep roof that was roofed with clay tiles, yet it did not have a steeple. It was constructed when the church was moved to the street Strandveien. At the same time, a number of changes were performed on the building. Firstly, a sacristy was built. Secondly, any observed crookedness was straightened out. Lastly, the height of the walls and ceiling was increased.
Literature: Kristiansen, Roald E. og Bengt Norbakken (ed): Elverh°y kirke 1803-2003, Troms° 2003
Publisher: The University of Troms°, 08.12.2005
Author: H.S
Photographer: H.S; T.A 2005



Contact  » About the Architecture Guide  »
Academic Responsibility: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, Department of Culture and Literature
Developed and arranged by The University Library of Troms°
© 2004 - The University Library of Troms°

Powered by 4images 1.7
Copyright © 2002 4homepages.de